MAINTAINING SOCIAL DISTANCING WHILE BOATING IN BC
Please do your part to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Recreational boaters are urged to think ahead about the actions that they can take to protect their health and safety and prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others.
While boating safety is always important, being prepared and knowledgeable during these uncertain times can help keep your family, first responders, and many others safe. Office of Boating Safety has released this message to recreational boaters and marine community members. In addition to this, please continue to follow all orders and guidance provided by the Provincial Health Officer.
Should you face an emergency situation on the water, please alert first responders if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms and/or have been out of the country. Help keep first responders safe by following their directions.
Guidance to Maintain Social Distancing While Boating
Boating can be a safe activity during these times if the following practices are followed:
- Adhere to all municipal, provincial, and federal closures. Many BC Parks and recreation sites are closed – it is suggested to check ahead of time.
- Only boat with those from your immediate household – No guest allowed, and avoid sharing your car with those outside of your household.
- Maintain a safe distance (at least two metres) from others you may come across, such as those at the marina.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially around communal areas like boat ramps and gates.
- Avoid anchoring or rafting your boat next to someone else.
- Stay local – now is not the time to explore new water ways or other BC communities.
- Go right from your house to the boat and back – avoid unnecessary contact with anyone.
- Pack your gear and supplies ahead of time and don’t plan to stop at stores along the way as you usually might.
If you are not confident that you can meet all these conditions, please postpone your trip.
If your boat needs service please call the business ahead of time as their hours and services might have changed. Always make sure you have all the necessary safety equipment for your vessel, if you are in need of equipment, some marine businesses offer online shipping and curb side pick up.
During these unprecedented times, Boating BC is actively working to provide recreational boaters with updates. Reach out to us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) or through firstname.lastname@example.org with any of your questions.